Student Health Insurance

For information regarding supplemental accident insurance coverage, go to

Purchasing insurance through Union College

Your health is important to Union College. All students taking 12 hours or more are required to carry primary health insurance.

If you do not have your own insurance and are not covered by someone else’s policy, you may apply for coverage through Wellfleet (formerly CHP) in your online registration checklist. Alternatively, if you have your own insurance, you may choose to waive coverage through Wellfleet on the registration checklist. When you waive coverage, you'll be required to submit a copy of the front and back of your insurance card.

*NOTE: If you need blank paper copies of the forms, you can download them at

Receiving care

If you choose to enroll with Wellfleet and need to visit a doctor, use the Wellfleet website ( to “Find an In-Network Provider”. Deductibles and benefits are listed in the “Summary of Benefits & Coverage” on that website along with claim forms, ID cards, pharmacy locator, and other valuable resources. A claim form MUST be completed and sent to the insurance company in the event of an illness or injury. The Preferred Provider Organization is First Health/Cofinity.

Prescription benefits are included in the plan through Wellfleet. To find a prescription medication provider, use the Wellfleet website at Consider the $4 generic med program available at Walmart and Hy-Vee. You can ask the prescriber if one of those is an option.

Always take your insurance card with you when you go for medical services. If you have lost your card, you can get a copy on the Wellfleet website at

Accident coverage

All full-time students (those enrolled in 12 hours or more) are automatically covered by accident insurance provided by Union College. This supplemental accident insurance will pay up to $5,000.00 per injury for deductibles, co-pays, and out-of-pocket expenses not covered by the student’s primary health policy. 

A note on HMOs

If you or your parents are members of an HMO outside the state of Nebraska, you will need to check with the HMO before you arrive on campus to see what provisions need to be made to see a physician outside of your state.

Unless it is an emergency, you will not be able to see a local physician without prior approval from your HMO. With some HMOs it is possible to get a guest membership while a student is attending school out of state.


For questions regarding primary health insurance purchased through Wellfleet, call:
Main Number:  (413) 733-4540
Customer Service:  (877) 657-5030
Monday – Thursday, 8:30 am – 7:00 pm EST
Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm EST

For questions regarding the supplemental accident insurance, call:
Dissinger Reed University Programs
Toll-Free: (800) 386-9183
Phone: (913) 491-6385

For any further questions, please contact:
Union College Student Life Office
Phone: 402.486.2507